Pinterest Recipe: Chicken, Potatoes, & BroccoliI love when I find things on Pinterest I can actually put to use! I recently pinned this pin and shortly after I just so happened to 'run out of ideas' for things to cook this year so this pin was fresh on my mind. I've tried it (twice as a matter of fact). I've compiled the best recipe from the two times I've tried it:
3 chicken breasts (or 5-7 boneless chicken thighs)
4-6 red potatoes
1 bag of frozen broccoli (thawed out)
4 tbsp (or 1/2 stick) of melted butter
1 packet of Italian dressing mix
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean the chicken and cut it into medium-sized chunks.
- Cut the potatoes into chunks.
- Thaw out the frozen broccoli. (I quickly do this by running warm water into the bag until there's no ice left.)
- Salt and pepper all three food items.
- Arrange the three items in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour the melted butter over all the food.
- Sprinkle a full packet of Italian dressing over all the food.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for an hour...and, simple as that, your meal is complete!
A few notes:
- The first time I made this dish I used chicken breasts only. The second time I used a mix of chicken breasts and thighs. I made use of what was in my freezer! Choose whatever part of the chicken you like!
- I cut my potatoes into eighths, but you can cut your potatoes into whatever size you like!
- You could try fresh broccoli, but I actually prefer the frozen broccoli. This time I grabbed a bag of small broccoli florets. It was a bag full of my favorite parts of the broccoli, they were already cut up, and they were bite sized. No extra work for me aside from thawing them out.
- It's important to remember to season all the food items before putting them in the pan. All items will be very bland without a little salt and pepper first!
- You can use whatever size baking dish you have. The bigger the dish the more food you can cook at once! I tried to pack as much food into my dish as I could so I say go for whatever size dish will feed your family!
- The first time I cooked this dish, I forgot to cover it with aluminum foil as it baked. It actually tasted pretty good, but there were parts of the broccoli that were singed and all the potatoes didn't quite cook through. When I cooked it covered, it was more tender and juicy. I want to try uncovering the dish towards the end of baking to see what kind of effect this has on the dish.
I like recipes that I can customize. We all have different taste buds and like different things. I like to take these recipes I find and make food for my liking. If you don't already, you should do that same!
As usual, enjoy!